Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Arbitrary code execution by admins in File Gallery 1.7.7 (WordPress plugin)

From: Harry Metcalfe <harry () dxw com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:50:54 +0100

Hi Illwill,

What circumstance would a WordPress admin not usually have this kind of access anyhow?
As Dave said, there are various levels of administrator in WordPress. But our perspective on these issues is just that a WordPress administrator is not necessarily also a server administrator. Plenty of our clients have staff who are administrators but who certainly do not have anything equivalent to root server access or permissions. There are also plenty of multisite installations of WordPress where the administrators of individual blogs have no permissions on other blogs, or on the main site.

Why the delay in discovery til reporting?
My fault - a colleague wrote the report, and I didn't notice it at the time.

Harry