Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: heartbleed OpenSSL bug CVE-2014-0160

From: "Brandon Vincent (Student)" <Brandon.Vincent () asu edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:20:30 +0000

Partly true.

OpenSSH does utilize the libraries of OpenSSL for cryptographic purposes (ldd will reveal the presence of
libcrypto.so), but this is for generating and utilizing asymmetric keys. CVE-2014-0160 impacts the heartbeat extension
of TLS and since the SSH protocol does not use SSL/TLS, you should be fine.

As a general rule of thumb for this vulnerability, any binary/service dynamically linked to libssl.so should be
considered compromised.

Brandon Vincent