Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: heartbleed OpenSSL bug CVE-2014-0160

From: Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:04:49 -0400

On 4/9/14, Fabien Bourdaire <lists () ecsc co uk> wrote:
We've created some iptables rules to block all heartbeat queries using
the very powerful u32 module.

# Block rules
iptables -t filter -A INPUT  -p tcp --dport 443  -m u32 --u32 \
"52=0x18030000:0x1803FFFF" -j DROP

It appears to me that this rule assumes that TLS records align with
TCP packet boundaries. Attackers can circumvent it by manipulating
said boundaries. This is, in general, an inherent limitation of trying
to use U32 to filter TCP-based application protocols.