Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Advantages of Stack Guard over Stack Shield

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:53:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013, Jaydeep Solanki wrote:

I would like to know why nowadays Stack Guard is used everywhere (example: ProPolice in GCC, /GS in Visual Studio) instead of Stack Shield.

Stack Shield needs to manage two stacks (an ordinary stack and an extra stack for saved returned addresses). This is prone to break various things (multithreading, longjmp) and I am afraid a hypothetical implementation would have to be quite heavyweight and messy in order to avoid breaking them.

--
Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak                          / Jeremiah 9:21        \
"For death is come up into our MS Windows(tm)..." \ 21st century edition /