Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why PRISM kills the cloud | Computerworld Blogs

From: Noel Butler <noel.butler () ausics net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 17:44:19 +1000

Justin,

 illegally (by AU standards) accessed and passed onto ASD or the like,
however, if AU data stayed within AU, there is no chance in fuck your
out of control govt can access it to pass onto our spies, nor any way
our spies can locally access that data without a court order,
something the NSA is apparently even required to get to spy on its
citizens (but does not need to spy of non US citizens - which is where
the outcry is), but clearly doesn't from all the CNN reports I;ve
seen.

Let me also make it clear to you, in a previous life I was in such
position working at an ISP/telco here, so I know fully well what our
LEO's and spies can and can not do, to capture the data similar to NSA
is doing, it is the telco providor that must enable this, and only then
to a direct specific circuit and only under court order, not a free for
all dont give a fuck catch-and-store-all like NSA is doing.

So, if AU businesses kept their email in AU, they have far stronger
protections than if they left it in the U.S. despite being a member of
that not so secret club.