Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DoS vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player (BSOD)

From: Jann Horn <jann () thejh net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 00:30:06 +0200

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:24:29AM +0300, MustLive wrote:
Hello list!

I want to warn you about Denial of Service vulnerability (BSOD) in Adobe
Flash Player. I've found this vulnerability at 27.01.2013.

-------------------------
Affected products:
-------------------------

Vulnerable version is Adode Flash 11.5.502.146. Attack works only on AMD/ATI
video cards.

Adobe have fixed it at 12.02.2013 in their patch APSB13-05
(https://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-05.html), which
fixed multiple vulnerabilities in flash player. At that Adobe did it
hiddenly without mentioned about this vulnerability and without referencing
on me. After my informing in the end of January, they was "checking it"
during 1,5 months and said, that they can't reproduce this vulnerability (at
that I've reproduced it on multiple computers with ATI video cards), that
they don't know anything (the hole was accidentally fixed in APSB13-05) and
this DoS doesn't related to them.

Sorry, but how can this be a vuln in *Flash*, a *user-space* component, if it
can be used to cause a BSOD, which, as far as I know, means that something bad
happened *in the Kernel*? Sounds to me as if Flash is not the (or at least not
the only) culprit...