Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: TTY handling when executing code in lower-privileged context (su, virt containers)

From: Benji <me () b3nji com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:58:37 +0000

Furthermore, the handling of user privileges to disallow root logins is to
stop (stupid) users doing stupid things, security wise. If a lot of users
weren't forced to use unprivileged accounts, all the processes you're
talking about running would be run as root. AFAIK security is used to
protect from the lowest denominator up, not top down.