Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The email that hacks you

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:37:19 +0100

From an architectural perspective, "auto logins" or whatever they're called
should work through a random string, just as most providers already do.
There is absolutely no reason to pass the username/password from a
URL, especially when in plain text as in these cases.
Since there is no loss of features (there are safer, saner, sensible
alternatives), I think this is better considered a bug, since it is never
actually needed in the first place.

Also, with the random token system, I think it is best to still require the
user/pass when the URL the user is directed to is going to do something
such as modifying/updating stuff.

Chris.