Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Rate Stratfor's Incident Response

From: Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:55:25 -0600

On 1/7/12 2:48 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com <mailto:noloader () gmail com>> wrote:

    http://bolt.thexfil.es/84e9h!t <http://bolt.thexfil.es/84e9h%21t>
    was an interesting link - it
    demonstrated the pwnage.

    It looks like these folks gained access via PHP. Stratfor was using a
    Linux based system system, but PHP was version 1.8
    from 2009 (perhaps with some back patches). Current version of PHP is
    5.3.8 (http://www.php.net/).

O really? PHP 1.8? how would you compile that on a modern linux distro?
how would you run drupal on top of it?

// $Id: default.settings.php,v 1.8.2.4 2009/09/14 12:59:18 goba Exp $
that is a line from the default drupal config file.

I agree that the php app was the most likely source of the intrusion, I would guess that they didn't kept the drupal core and the contrib modules up-to-date, and they were owned through some old vulnerability.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu