Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MySQL 5.1/5.5 WiNDOWS REMOTE R00T (mysqljackpot)

From: Sergei Golubchik <serg () askmonty org>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:04:42 +0100

Thanks, Kurt!

2012/12/2 Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>:
*** FARLiGHT ELiTE HACKERS LEGACY R3L3ASE ***

Attached is the MySQL Windows Remote Exploit (post-auth, udf
technique) including the previously released mass scanner. The
exploit is mirrored at the farlight website
http://www.farlight.org.

So in the case of this issue it appears to be documented (UDF, do
not run MySQL as administrator, etc.). As I understand CVE
assignment rules this issue does not require a CVE, however just to
be on the safe side I'm CC'ing MySQL, Oracle, MariaDB, OSS-SEC,
Steven Christey, cve-assign and OSVDB to the CC so that everyone is
aware of what is going on.

Just to confirm - yes, it's documented.

UDF is a feature that allows to run any code in the MySQL server
process. FILE privilege allows to create files. So yes, sure, with the
appropriate privileges and the appropriately configured server
one can create a file and load it as UDF. As expected.

Regards,
Sergei
MariaDB Security Coordinator