Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: how i stopped worrying and loved the backdoor

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:28:47 +0200

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 04:00:20PM -0700, coderman wrote:
Dan just released "DakaRand"
  http://dankaminsky.com/2012/08/15/dakarand/

src http://s3.amazonaws.com/dmk/dakarand-1.0.tgz

while admitting that "Matt Blaze has essentially disowned this
approach, and seems to be honestly horrified that I’m revisiting it"
and "Let me be the first to say, I don’t know that this works." this
mode would greatly reduce, maybe eliminate the incidence of key
duplication in large sample sets (e.g. visibly poor entropy for key
generation)

the weak keys[0] authors clearly posit that they have detected merely
the most obvious and readily accessible poor keys, and that further
attacks against generator state could yield even more vulnerable
pairs... you have been warned :P

the solution is adding hw entropy[1][2] to the mix. anything less is
doing it wrong!

if you don't have hw entropy, adding dakarand is better than not.

Lots of people are using "haveged" already, it operates on a similar principle.

http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/

Ciao, Marcus