Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: new law proposal on EU against hacking tools and practices

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:00:08 -0400

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:49:59 +0100, Dave said:

Or noobs like me who are not professional pentesters and only hit our own machines/VM's/network devices in the course
of self training.

They made special notice of that.  Amendment 7 got reworded a bit (the phrase
"authorized testing" was replace with "testing in accordance with law", and in
the Justification they say:

The term "authorised testing" can be interpreted in a way that would require a
formal authorization before the security testing of own in formation systems.
This would entirely undermine the effectiveness and practicality of self tests
without criminal intent. Further, there should be no criminal liability when
the limitation of access to a system is illegal by itself.