Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: VPN provider helped track down alleged LulzSec member

From: Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:19:31 -0500

On 9/29/2011 3:51 AM, Darren Martyn wrote:
Again, I hope this does not fail to send.
The reasoning behind the "Pure Elite" recruitment channel was A: to
recruit some talented people (and, by all accounts, there were some
talented programmers there) and B: development and idle talk. Now more
interesting was the reasoning behind the name - by putting the
developers and coders and potential recruits in a channel named "Pure
Elite", it was essentially an ego boost for the new guys, made them
feel valued, etc, when in fact most were but pawns to be used (IMHO).

This co-operation between VPN providers and LEO, while being nothing
new - remember how hushmail caved in - is indeed worrying for those of
us who are privacy advocates as well as security researchers.

On a more direct note, Laurelei, do not presume that you know all
there is to know about them. Doing so would be foolish. (Now don't go
assuming that I hate you, I bear you bugger all ill-will, etc).
Good day.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Laurelai Storm <laurelai () oneechan org