Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: sshd logins without a source

From: BH <lists () blackhat bz>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:17:03 +0800

Hi all,

Thank you all for the suggestions.

The systems in question are all Debian based. A typical log stanza for a
login would be:

Sep 23 18:51:26 test sshd[25011]: Accepted publickey for root from
10.0.1.1 port 35398 ssh2
Sep 23 18:51:27 test sshd[25011]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened
for user root by (uid=0)

Or in the case of password authentication:

Sep 23 19:37:33 test sshd[30552]: Accepted password for root from
10.0.1.1 port 50102 ssh2
Sep 23 19:37:33 test sshd[30552]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened
for user root by (uid=0)

I am unable to reproduce an event from sshd that shows a login without a
corresponding address, in every case I have tested the IP address is
logged. I guess this could possibly mean the logs have been altered,
from what I can tell only for this event.

The b/wtmp files dont have any events relevant. Only a single binary was
running on them afterwards which was doing SIP attacks. The file was
rm'ed but a copy was taken which I have.

The syslog configs match backups along with the sshd binary matching
earlier copies.

Thanks