Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cybsec Advisory 2011 0901 Windows Script Host DLL Hijacking

From: James Condron <james () zero-internet org uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 01:43:33 +0100

Paul,

I only run windows on one machine, my workstation in the office, so my results aren't indicative of every system-
indeed this may be a quirk of our AD, in which case I'll be talking to one of my colleagues with my friend Mr. Crowbar,
but both extensions you list were executable.

Admittedly I haven't checked all of the others yet, mileage may vary.

Either way there is no accounting for taste; some cases will make this less an attack in and of its self and more will
show this as a further social engineering payload, albeit one which requires tricking someone to download several
layers of code and still executing it.