Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's Binary Planting Clean-Up Mission

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:11:03 +0000

From your blog:

"While we know there's still a lot of cleaning up to do in their binary planting closet, our research-oriented minds
remain challenged to find new ways of exploiting these critical bugs and bypassing new and old countermeasures. In the
end, it was our research that got the ball rolling and it would be a missed opportunity for everyone's security if we
didn't leverage the current momentum and keep researching. "

I would change that around a bit.  I would say "our self-serving and marketing-oriented minds remain challenged to
understand what security really is, but regardless, continue to find ways of trying to convince people this represents
an actual security threat. In the end, it was our research that falsely created security concerns and confusion where
time was better spent really doing just about anything else, but it would have been a missed opportunity to get our
names in the media to sell our security services."