Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [OT] the nigger said: "American people understand that not everybody's been following the rules"

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 10:29:37 -0400

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:29:22 +0300, Georgi Guninski said:

i am by no way a racist.
the OP specifically wrote "no offence intended".
being a non-native speaker if someone is offended about skin colour it is a language mistake of mine.

Ya know, Georgi, you can't have it both ways. I realize that that you're
not a native speaker, and possibly not up to speed on all the ins and outs
of cultural and race relations over here.  So I would actually have been
willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, that it was an honest mistake and
you really didn't know that it had different meanings than if you had said "The
black dude in charge".

But then you go and stick "no offence intended" on it, which means that (a) you
*did* understand the difference, and (b) you *didn't* go back and change it to
"the black dude in charge" or something before you hit Send. And at that point,
you forfeit any right to claim that it was a language mistake.