Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 now unsecure by default

From: Darren Martyn <d.martyn.fulldisclosure () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:24:03 +0000

Jason has a good point. Now to make a simple statement - I am not (nor was
I) agreeing with the Ubuntu bashing in this, merely stating a point that it
puts user friendliness over security AT TIMES. I only switched distro for I
had... Disagreements... with Ubuntu's Wireless stack in installations more
recent than 10.04LTS.

I still run 10.04 "Netbook Remix" on the occasion that I have access to a
netbook (I no longer own even a desktop) and like it, it does the bloody
job, is easy to install rapidly, and does not require much fucking about
with. Sure, the purists may demand one compiles kernel from source, reads
parts (or all) of the src to look for POSSIBLE bugs, etc, and "builds their
own Linux", but I find that 8/10 times that is impractical, an unnecessary
complication, or merely too time consuming.

Just as an aside, my goal once I aquire my own computer (or rather, a
replacement for the boxes I no longer have) is to do the following:
1) Read the latest kernels source over a long period of time, looking for
bugs and to get a better understanding of how it works on that level
2) Build my own distro
3) Write my own network manager based off the LORCON/MadWiFi drivers (using
PyLORCON bindings) for the GNOME interface to replace the not-reliable
"network manager" applet.

Is there anyone else on the list with similar aspirations to understand the
underlying OS on that level or is everyone content with simply bitching
about distros?