Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sony: No firewall and no patches

From: phocean <0x90 () phocean net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:05:21 +0200

 Wrong. Passive FTP is the first example that comes to my mind where
 inspection (based on statefulness) is needed.
 Also, if you filter (and you should) both inbound and outbound traffic,
 how do you allow legitimate responses to the server?
 In many cases and network designs, statefulness also allows to build
 slightly shorter and more efficient filtering rules.
 This way, a step toward simplicity is often a step toward security.