Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: What the f*** is going on?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:30:44 -0500

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:24:22 EST, jf said:
(how come no one ever points out that rate-limiting failed logins is probably
more important than password complexity?)

We once had an incident where after the guy whacked the box, he intentionally
spammed the box with more incorrect logins, just so when we went to respond,
none of the sysadmins were able to login because their accounts were all off in
the "too many failed logins, logins suspended for 30 mins" limbo.

Like most security features, rate-limiting logins can be used against you by
an attacker with sufficient security jiu-jitsu.