Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in reCAPTCHA for Drupal

From: Charles Morris <cmorris () cs odu edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:07:26 -0500

Michele,

Granted I don't know or really care about drupal, and I'm not just
trying to defend MustLive,
who just seems to be a guy trying to get ahead in the world, even if
he's a little misguided; but what really gets to me is when people
dismiss issues like that. Not to mention you are assuming that the
defaults are never changed.

full path disclosure IS an information disclosure, unless the code is
designed to disclose it's filesystem path. Any information gathered by
unorthodox methods from an application that wasn't designed to do so,
is an information disclosure.

Information disclosure IS a vulnerability.

Even if an attack vector isn't known, things like filesystem
knowledge, internal varialbe names, error messages, username => id
mapping, etc can still be used from a social engineering perspective.

It is my personal belief that all vulnerabilities should be patched
regardless of existence of a known attack vector or exploit.

If an application does not behave exactly as it's intended in all circumstances:
patch || gutmann()

And, to MustLive; I hope that debugging option or whatever is turned
on by default- otherwise the quoted issue is more of a
misconfiguration.... and yes two days is a completely irrational
acknowledgment duration cap ... :( ... I've had vendors take weeks to
acknowledge an issue.. we have to gently hold the hand of vendors and
teach them how computer work.. I personally suggest putting a proper
disclosure policy on your website and then stick to it.