Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: VSFTPD Remote Heap Overrun (low severity)

From: Ramon de C Valle <rcvalle () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:58:12 -0500 (EST)

If you want to prevent apps from reading zoneinfo files that a user
can write and read files a user can write, you will loose.

Why are you setting up the chroot with content a user can write too?
If you simply prevent him from writing to /usr/share, won't that
solve
the problem?
Not really. Because, in fact, the user, when chrooted, is writing to /home/user/usr/share/zoneinfo/. I've suggested a
different file context for /home/(.*)/usr/share/zoneinfo(/.*) in vsftpd policy module. But I don't think this will be
necessary due to the recent findings about vsftpd.

--
Ramon de C Valle / Red Hat Security Response Team