Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apache Killer

From: Levente Peres <sheridan () sansz org>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:31:41 +0200

My findings, hope it helps... Properly configured HAProxy with queue
management and per-server limits can dampen the effects quite drastically.

In my testing (three low-end SunFire servers and a LB) an attack volume
of well over a 1000 threads was necessary to notice any small speed
degradation on the frontend - which triggeres anti DOS immediately if
done from outside LAN. System immediately recovers fully when the attack
stops, no coredumps, nothing, not even after half an hour of sustained
attack. No crashing or unstability whatsoever happened on any servers,
not even at 2000, but dared not to test further on a live system... If
performed from multiple IPs or varied content etc however, a pattern
recognition scheme would be necessary to block it I believe... Also
tested it with a simple one-server setup with Squid as frontend before
apache, it reported not vulnerable... Not tested any further yet.

Done on a "barefoot" apache however, it was devastating even at 100
threads regardless the lots of RAM and quadcode setup :-(

Levente