Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New tool for pentesting

From: Mario Vilas <mvilas () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:08:13 +0200

To be fair, both Canvas and Impact had the same pivoting features years
before Metasploit (and yes, that includes the entire Windows API too). It's
no wonder really, since Metasploit is newer too (Impact was created some ten
odd years ago and Canvas came shortly later, if I'm not wrong). But IMHO if
a community, open source project like Metasploit can reach the quality of
it's big budget, closed source competitors, that alone is quite impressive!

What I think is really wrong here is someone made a poorly designed (at
least judging from the GUI), Windows-only commercial tool by ripping off a
few public exploits... What's the added value here? What are these people
trying to charge money for, exactly? This looks like snake oil to me.