Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: KeePass version 2.12 <= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:18:42 +0200

I've tested on Clean Licensed Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit
with latest windows updates applied (as of Today -sept 09 2010).
Could be a virus/trojan from my XP machine might have caused some form
of immunity against this issue?
And perhaps my extensive meddling and customization somehow modify the
Windows 7 install beyond normal limits?
I very much doubt this. I used both bitness demos for what it's worth.

Should I make movie to prove that like
Up till step 2 everything went fine. Step 3 went a little differently
- wab.exe opened, but no popup box opened with it.

Considering Acros highlighted how their POC was highly unstable
(they've frequently advised to try the program several times to get it
to work) I don't see such abnormal behaviour out of this world.

One last thing, rather than just running a random POC I've actually
looked into what's going on, via Process Monitor, and as far as it's
concerned, it always loaded the correct (ie, the original) dlls.

Cheers,
Chris.