Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: virus in email RTF message MS OE almost disabled

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:50:49 -0500

Oh, man, now you've made him cry!

Gary B

On 11/22/2010 03:16 PM, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:

You know, every time I start to get a bit of hope for what looks like
an upward trend of businesses and organizations taking security
seriously, I see crap like this.  Your organization is a Medicare
prescription contractor with a national network of 61,022 contracted
pharmacies, and not only are you running unpatched versions of old
OS's and opening email attachments because they "look OK," but you
have to post to Full Disclosure asking help for trivial virus
detection and removal advice?   Now that everyone on FD knows that you
are vulnerable and that you open email attachments, you've probably
just caused the organization to be pwned 9 ways from Sunday.

To answer your question, call a professional and have them do it.  And
in the future, don't send out emails like this from your organization
email announcing the state of your security.  That's what Hotmail is
for.