Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Stealthier Internet access

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:01:17 -0400

On Wed, 26 May 2010 03:01:26 +0545, Bipin Gautam said:

@Valdis: Those were from some ooold notes, (~4yrs) :) if you have full
hdd encryption wiping hdd header and backup header few (7?) times and
rest hdd with 1 random pass should be enough.

My point is that even if the drive *wasn't* encrypted, a single-pass overwrite
is sufficient to render it unrecoverable.

Wiping Magnetic storage is tricky on its own.

It's actually not that hard, as long as you actually know how many gauss
you *really* need to wipe a device (inside surface, near axis, of multi-platter
devices is a particular gotcha).

It's not worth worrying about wiping the remapped sectors on a disk - even an
older 40G drive has some 80 million sectors on it - so even if you have a few
hundred sectors that have remapped due to I/O errors, it's still literally
a one-in-a-million shot that anything incriminating is in the sector.  Plus
it's a *bad* sector, so reading and recovering the data is a bitch...