Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: go public to avoid jail

From: Marsh Ray <marsh () extendedsubset com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 12:40:27 -0500

On 5/3/2010 12:29 PM, J Roger wrote:

If the tool was released publicly, how much more difficult would it have
been for the prosecution to prove that you knew the tool was intended to be
used for a particular illegal purpose in a specific case and you went out of
your way to help?

Perhaps not more difficult at all.

My understanding is (I think I read the Wired article) that in this case
there were voluminous chat logs between the developer of the tool and
those who used it for specific crimes. These logs showed that it was
custom development work and its intended purpose was well-understood by
the developer.

- Marsh