Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wordpress plugin 'Analytics360'- authenticated user sql injection

From: Benji <me () b3nji com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:14:05 +0000

http://crowdfavorite.com/ loads fine here.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Jan G.B. <ro0ot.w00t () googlemail com> wrote:

Hi there,

I just noticed that authenticated users for the admin area of a wordpress
blog may inject code into database queries, when the plugin "Analytics360"
is activated.

### BASIC INFORMATION ###

Plugin Name: Analytics360
Plugin URI:
http://www.mailchimp.com/wordpress_analytics_plugin/?pid=wordpress&source=website
Author: Crowd Favorite
Author URI: http://crowdfavorite.com

### Affected Version ###

Analytics360 v.1.2
(and earlier Versions, I guess…)

### Risk ###

Well, I can't classify this. When you're not insane, you shouldn't have
people as admins, who inject code into the database queries.
But, when you have such admins, or your WP-Login is collected by phishing
or something alike, your db server and data may be at risk.
It all depends on your setup and permissions. However, the bug is easy to
fix and so it should be fixed.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpdb_Class#Run_Any_Query_on_the_Database

### DETAILS ###

The code contains this evil part in analytics360.php:
--------
  case 'get_wp_posts':
          add_filter('posts_where', create_function(
                  '$where',
                  'return $where." AND post_date >=
\''.$_GET['start_date'].'\' AND post_date < \''.$_GET['end_date'].'\'";'
          ));
--------

### Disclosure Timeline ###

You're the first to know.
Anyone is able to telnet crowdfavorite.com:80 ? As I'm writing this, the
site is unresponsive.
So this is what happens when you include a website as contact information:
you don't get the message.

Regards