Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fingerprinting Paper with Laser

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:00:01 -0400

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:51:40 -0000, mrx said:
Consider a production line for printing anything that is used for access
control. Now providing there is absolutea consistency across every sample of the
material printed/magnetised or otherwise marked during a production run, then
only one token need be scanned by laser.

I thought the point was that there *wasn't* absolute consistency, and what
was being measured was the deviations in each sample.

A bigger concern is whether normal wear and tear will invalidate the
measurements - some spots will be rubbed smoother by friction, others
will be roughed up. Yes, the fine article says this:

"This continued even after they were subjected to rough handling, including
submersion in water, scorching, scrubbing with an abrasive cleaning pad and
being scribbled on with thick black marker."

But I wonder what several years of wear will do.