Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: targetted SSH bruteforce attacks

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:24:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Gary Baribault wrote:

someone is burning a lot of cycles and hosts to do a distributed
dictionary attack on my one box!

Do you say distributed? We are experiencing a distributed attack right
now. An IP connects to a certain fixed set of SSH servers in our network,
makes a handful of login attempts against every indivial server, and
disconnects to never be seen again. The whole scenario repeats with a new
IP every minute or so. The set of servers is quite small, only cca 15 out
of many tens available in our whole network.

--
Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak                          / Jeremiah 9:21        \
"For death is come up into our MS Windows(tm)..." \ 21st century edition /