Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RDP, can it be done safely?

From: "J. Ottosson" <j-006 () ottosson nu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:05:29 +0200

On 10 Jun 2010 at 9:30, Marsh Ray wrote:

On 6/10/2010 9:10 AM, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
To be specific, it actually doesn't require a "client" cert in the
strictest sense.

But I thought it could be configured to require a client cert?

Some users would probably be content using stunnel (+OpenSSL) as SSL wrapper on
server side and the "-v 3" option in config which I think should force
validation against locally installed certificates.

/J

You can configure certificate parameters on the
server in such a way that certificate trust chains must be honored
(close enough)

I don't get your meaning here. What cert chains would the server be
validating if not client certs? The server's own?

Or are you saying it's still the client's option to not present a client
cert?

but if you want true client authentication based on a
certificate, you would have to publish the RDP over RPC/HTTP(s) via
something like ISA where you can specifically configure a listener to
require client authentication certificates to be "presented" to the
publisher, but that's not really the same thing.

I kind of thought we had it configured something like that (but I
haven't gotten in too deep yet).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731264%28WS.10%29.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely look at this more closely as I
have some projects at work which involve MSTS and TSG.

- Marsh