Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificate

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:59:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

And what do you think is doing revocation checking?
Hint:  Even fewer things than are doing chain validation.

So... no one is doing revocation checking and expiration is evil.
How are we supposed to get rid of invalid certificates?

The problem is that we assume that security doesn't have to be convenient.

Let me paraphrase one famous sentence: security should be made as
convenient as possible but not more convenient.

Intermediate certs?  You mean those god-mode can-sign-anything certs
that are sold for a pile of money, a wink, and a smile?

No. See RFC 3280 Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure, section
4.2.1.11 Name Constraints. Any PKIX-compliant application must recognize
this extension.

Everyone loves blaming the business guys.  Nope.  When it comes to
X.509, we nerds blew it.

"We blew" it in the sense that X.509 is designed for a strictly
hierarchical bureaucratic environment, not for an open world where
commercial CAs are supposed to compete within a shared namespace.

got 500 server that need patches installed
Windows Update / BigFix, move on with your life.

Your model organization has to go through the following six steps to
replace every individual expiring certificate:

1) A purchase must be made, of the thing to be changed
2) A meeting must be scheduled, to organize the change (especially if,
as you suggest, an external organization tracks these things)
3) An administrator must be tapped to implement the change in non-peak
time
4) The change must happen
5) The change must be tested and validated
6) The new expiration time must be confirmed for tracking purposes

yet it allows large-scale deployment of patches without any meetings,
planning, testing, and validation? You must be kidding.

See, here's the problem:  You're all talking about what *could* be the
case.  I'm telling what *is* the case.

You should decide whether you want to blame X.509 itself or a
particular way it is used.

Expiration is one of a number of serious and genuinely unique
operational hazards in X.509.

When you fail to pay your electric bill every month, they will cut
your power supply. All your computers will stop working. Is it a
"genuinely unique operational hazard" too? ;)

--
Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak                          / Jeremiah 9:21        \
"For death is come up into our MS Windows(tm)..." \ 21st century edition /