Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?

From: Cor Rosielle <cor () outpost24 com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:27:48 +0200

Hi Thierry,

I agree this is a vulnerability. I also want to clear up an apparent
misunderstanding: I don't tell not to scan with -sV, but to be careful
because it is a dangerous switch that is known to sometimes crash
devices. When you are testing a target, you have to know your tools and
this is one of the characteristics of nmap.

When testing, there are often some alternatives to choose from. And if
the objective is to find out if there are any vulnerabilities in a host,
then nmap -sV is one of the tools in the toolbox you can use. But if you
just want to know the version of SNMP running, like Shang did, you just
might want to choose another tool. (I would have used something like:
for HOST in $(cat file.with.hosts); do snmpget -v 1 -c community-string
$HOST sysDescr.0; done
to find out if SNMP v1 was supported).

Regards,
Cor