Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Source Code Vulnerability Scanner (Free 30 Day Trial)

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:32:46 +0200

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 01:46:56AM -0800, Michal Zalewski wrote:
grep -r ACIDBITCHES *

This code has two very obvious detection bypass vulnerabilities:

1) It fails to scan dotfiles in the starting directory,

2) It can be tricked into not producing any output by creating a file
named "-q" in the starting dir.

Let me fire up my vulnerability research whitepaper generator.

/mz

implementation issues aside, are the theoretic foundations of the scanner correct?

some points.

1. analyzing the grep(1) codebase. what if grep has anti-scanning backdoor - like a compiler backdoor?

2. the scanner reproducibly reports backdoors in /dev/urandom - it is
even not an .EXE!

--
joro