Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificate

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:44:29 -0500

--On Monday, August 02, 2010 12:36:37 -0400 Elazar Broad <elazar () hushmail com>
wrote:

<snip>
Can't you? The world is full of unpatched systems. You can even find
systems where patches are not installed because it is running a
piece of
mission critical software and they would lose support if they
installed
any patches (I am not making this up).
</snip>

Spot on. I know of one large accounting/ERP system(which shall
remain nameless, though I am sure there are those out there who
have come across it) that checked the SQL version, including the
revision number at runtime, which made patching SQL impossible.

In those cases where there are such systems, there should be mitigating
controls around them that increase the difficulty of break-in.  Otherwise the
IT department is negligent.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst