Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyalc () swiftdsl com au>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:14:16 +1000

It appears that the content of the security audit procedures (the PDF
download-able from
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss_download_agr
eement.html) still has not crept into this discussion by some who consider
PCI a waste of effort, merely a comment on the 12 section headings of PCI
DSS.

Judging anything by responding to key words, without considering context,
usually leads to expensive and potentially non-compliant outcomes in my
experience.  This is particularly true of PCI DSS compliance efforts among
many companies I've worked with.

Just on anti-malware solutions per PCI DSS, to take one example.
Take a piece of paper and list the ways in which malware controls can be
implemented, then see how many are point solutions from vendors.
Here's a start, using mechanisms that can be PCI DSS compliant:

*

        Most Anti-virus software products (the easy route in some platforms.
Particularly good when non-Windows platforms exchange complex content with
Windows platforms e.g  mail relays, web servers etc)
*

        Application whitelisting (hard to tune, but good in some scenarios,
esspecially servers)
*

        File integrity controls (good, once tuned and applied
comprehensively to the target servers)
*

        Using an operating system that is not commonly suspcetibale to
malware (rare, but does happen)

Some of the options listed above can be free, other than some labour time to
implement the necessary changes.
Although a product is marketed as an anti-virus product, it may not meet all
PCI DSS expectations e.g. detecting malware is one criteria on which some
solutions fail.
The above ignores the update, logging, monitoring and reponses processes
behind the above options, for simplicity in this discussion.

lyal

  _____