Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Modifying SSH to Capture Login Credentials from Attackers

From: Kurth Bemis <kurth.bemis () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:01:22 -0400

Very nice.  Thank you for the clarification.

~k

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 14:58 -0700, my.hndl wrote:
The standard logs don't record attempted passwords.  On my post I
explained how this could very easily lead to privilege escalation:

"For obvious reasons, openssh and others never log incorrect passwords
(a mistype of your password would get winblowz logged when you meant
winblows…such logging would make it trivial to escalate privilege)."

All standard users have read access to /var/log/auth, so if root
mistyped their password, they could easily escalate by guessing what
root meant.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Kurth Bemis <kurth.bemis () gmail com>