Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:49:55 -0400

Hi Aras,

Given that M$ has officially shot-down all current Windows XP users by not
issuing a patch for a DoS level issue,
Can you cite a reference?

Unless Microsoft has changed their end of life policy [1], XP should
be patched for security vulnerabilities until about 2014. Both XP Home
and XP Pro's mainstream support ended in 4/2009, but extended support
ends in 4/2014 [2]. Given that we know the end of extended support,
take a look at bullet 17 of [1]:

    17. What is the Security Update policy?

    Security updates will be available through the end of the Extended
    Support phase (five years of Mainstream Support plus five years of
    the Extended Support) at no additional cost for most products.
    Security updates will be posted on the Microsoft Update Web site
    during both the Mainstream and the Extended Support phase.

I realize some of you might be tempted to relay the M$ BS about "not being
feasible because it's a lot of work" rhetoric...
Not at all.

Jeff

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
[2] http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Aras "Russ" Memisyazici