Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7 UAC compromised

From: Kevin Wilcox <kevin () tux appstate edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:58:37 -0500

2009/2/5 Miller Grey <vigilantgregorius () gmail com>:
No, it doesn't make sense...I don't think Redmond missed the point at all,
they're trying to introduce a concept totally new to the everyday user who,
like Valdis said, only "...wants his dancing hamster screensaver.", and will
blindly click any OK button that pops up.  Ultimately, Valdis is right,
Redmond cares about profit, and creating an OS that is irritating to the
everyday jackass does not help their profits.

Wait, so is he right when he said all they care about is profit, was
he right when he said they intentionally missed it or both?

Microsoft market share has absolutely nothing to do with how
irritating the computing experience is and has everything to do with
product availability and familiarity; basically, it's carried along by
inertia. Kind of like the whole, "no one was ever fired for buying
[IBM|Cisco|<flavour of the decade>]" deal. Most products that most
companies have are MS-centric; if the products are there, and it's
what people are used to, no one really gives a flying penny about how
irritating the OS is to the average person unless it's completely
intolerable. On a level playing field I would say yes, the quality of
the computing experience would help dictate the winner in the OS game
but this is *not* a level playing field and it's quite easy to just
roll along simply because you already have 90%+ of the market with no
serious contenders in sight.

My previous post was made because rather than attempt to refute
anything stated by M.B., you just replied with a "blank-stare" style
"what?". I neither support nor refute his statements, I was simply
rewording them.

kmw

--
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
if chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who