Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apple Safari 4 Beta feeds: URI NULL Pointer Dereference Denial of, Service Vulnerability

From: Jubei Trippataka <vpn.1.fanatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:19:29 +1100

I'll clarify for everyone since you seem lost.
EVERYONE, THE NULL POINTER DOES NOT GET DEREFERENCED. It only
gets referenced. And Jubei isn't even sure a null pointer is involved
at all =)

With that out of the way, I'd just like to say that I only meant to
encourage people to check out an excellent paper. I didn't mean to say
anything related to your argument other than to say that that
paper is a must-read. If you can't appreciate that, why the fuck are you
on F-D? Think about it.

I'm didn't even comment on Mark's paper, it is definitely a great piece of
research, there is no doubt. It's just that some people have read this paper
and thought, wow, all those NULL bugs are now exploitable. It's important to
separate these bug classes.

I'd even go to say that while this paper is a must-read, please also spend
some time understanding it, otherwise don't bother.

--
ciao

JT