Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] Re: Supporters urge halt to, hacker's, extradition to US

From: mcwidget <mcwidget () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:36:05 +0100

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:42 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:23:34 EDT, Eliah Kagan said:

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for using unsecured wireless for legal
purposes?

Not to my knowledge - mostly because all the white hats are too damned busy
dealing with bigger issues.  I doubt that we, as a society, can ever get to
the point where this one will be on prosecutor's radar. I certainly could
envision a *civil* suit for somebody pirating an unsecured WAP - but unless
the plaintiff has a truly viable and novel reason to claim huge monetary
damages, it would be cheaper and more productive to just secure the WAP.

This has happened in the UK a few years back -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm.  A guy was fined £500,
given a 12 months conditional discharge and had his laptop and wireless card
confiscated for repeatedly using someone's unsecured wireless with his
laptop from his car.  There was no evidence to suggest he was doing anything
malicious with it.