Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Dailydave] Once thought safe, WPA Wi-Fi encryption is cracked

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 19:11:51 -0800

On 7-Nov-08, at 3:01 PM, George Ou wrote:

First of all, this was not a crack against WPA; it was a weakening
of TKIP.
WPA != TKIP.  WPA is an industry certification standard which
mandates TKIP
encryption capability but leaves AES encryption optional.  However,
most WPA
devices do support AES.  WPA2 mandates both TKIP and AES
capability.  What
this means is that people should add TKIP to the list of obsolete
encryption
algorithms like WEP.

The researches seem to have significantly weakened TKIP encryption,
so this
is different from the previous stories last month which was about a
brute
force dictionary attack on the Pre-Shared Key.  TKIP was always
known to be
a stopgap measure in the encryption community and this research simply
proved that prediction right.  WEP was deliberately weak so that
wireless
access points could be exportable in the late 90s when we had rules
against
exporting products with strong encryption, and TKIP was merely a
Band-Aid
for WEP.  My worry is that people have the knee jerk reaction that all
encryption, including 3DES or AES, is equally unworthy when in
reality these
encryption standards are designed to hold up for many decades.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. Until you remove the default behaviour
of most
WPA/WPA2 implementations to downgrade automatically to TKIP from
CCMP(AES)
when asked to... a "weakening" of TKIP is a "weakening" of WPA/WPA2.

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Tokyo, Japan  November 12/13 2008  http://pacsec.jp