Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenID. The future of authentication on the web?

From: Abe Getchell <me () abegetchell com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:02:42 -0400

Wanted the below to go to the list.

-
Abe Getchell
me () abegetchell com
http://abegetchell.com/

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Abe Getchell <me () abegetchell com>
To: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] OpenID. The future of authentication on
the web?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:27:48 -0400

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 17:37 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Yes, and convenience is often the enemy of security.

Convenience is not necessarily the enemy of security, rather a fine line
exists between usability (of which convenience is a component) and
security. What is considered an acceptable risk when balancing the two
is a personal view point or company policy.

However, with OpenID, all I have to do is figure out how to capture your
credentials (which does not require that I compromise OpenID), and I can
own everything that you own.  At least with the disparate systems we have
now you only get those things where I've been foolish enough to use the
same credentials.  Even then you have to figure out what those systems
are.  With OpenID I simply try every site that uses OpenID, trivial to do
programmatically.

Let's compare OpenID and your home security. The OpenID technology is
much like the key/lock combination on the external door(s) of your home.
You have one key (username/password) that allows only you access to your
entire home and all of the belongings inside (personal information).
Having separate lockable doors which require a different key between
each room in your home is comparable to having a separate
username/password for every website to which you have access. The
differences in usability and security, in both cases, are obvious. You
trust the security of your belongings and family to the single key/lock
combination on the front of your home, why wouldn't you trust the
security of your personal information online to a comparable system? A
credit report is much easier to clean up than the blood of a family
member. Extreme and gruesome, yes, but there's truth in that statement.

The problem is, I have to trust the OpenID provide to both secure his/her
systems and hire trustworthy help.  I have to do the same locally, but I
have a great deal more control and ability to monitor.

When was the last time you had a copy of your key made at the local
hardware store? How do you know they are not making an extra copy? Did
they do a background check on the individual who is making the copy?
What about the previous owners or renters of your home? Did the person
who owned or rented the home previously return or destroy the keys? Did
they make any copies and give them to anyone else? Did the person that
made those copies make any extras? You have less control than you think.

I understand your concerns in concept and appreciate the paranoia. It's
what makes good security people good security people. When it comes down
to it, though, you have to take on a certain amount of risk to make a
system usable and available by end-users. I really hope that the
industry starts to center their discussions about this technology around
mitigating these risks rather than simply stating that the idea is a bad
one.

-
Abe Getchell
me () abegetchell com