Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Exploring the UNKNOWN: Scanning the Internet via SNMP!

From: "Adrian P" <unknown.pentester () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:54:36 +0000

Well, such statement is simply derived from my personal experience of
doing application-layer UDP scanning. Never ran a proper benchmark to
compare speed results to be honest.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer () suse de> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:02:25AM +0000, Adrian P wrote:

 > * Exploring the UNKNOWN: Scanning the Internet via SNMP! *
 > http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/exploring-the-unknown-scanning-the-internet-via-snmp/
 >
 > Hacking is not only about coming up with interesting solutions to
 > problems, but also about exploring the unknown. It was this drive for
 > knowledge philosophy that lead to surveying a significant sample of
 > the Internet which allowed us to make some VERY interesting
 > observations and get an idea of the current state of _remote SNMP
 > hacking_.
 >
 > * Why SNMP? *
 >
 > 2.5 million random IP addresses were surveyed via SNMP. Why SNMP you
 > might be asking? Well, there are several reasons. First of all SNMP is
 > a UDP-based protocol which allows us to perform scanning at a much
 > shorter time than via TCP-based protocols. Another advantage of
 This is not true. I doubt there is any measurable advantage
 of UDP vs. TCP scans if you do it right.
 2.5 million addresses can be done in a very short coffee break.

 Sebastian

 --
 ~
 ~ perl self.pl