Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: hacking a pacemaker

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:00:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, March 12, 2008 4:57 am, Gadi Evron wrote:
Almost a year ago I gave a talk at the CCC Camp in Germany I called
"hacking
the bionic man". It even made Wired, in some fashion.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/08/will-the-bionic.html
http://events.ccc.de/camp/2007/Fahrplan/events/2049.en.html

In the talk, among other things such as the DNA and scripting languages,
medical doctors and reverse engineers...  was about cybernetic hacking.
I gave some predictions, some for 2 years, others 40 years. Some again
were
pure science fiction. I was wrong on the 2 years, it's here.

Today, this came up in the news (hat tip to Paul Ferguson on the funsec
mailing
list):
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/business/12heart-web.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

" The threat seems largely theoretical. But a team of computer security
researchers plans to report Wednesday that it had been able to gain
wireless
access to a combination heart defibrillator and pacemaker.

They were able to reprogram it to shut down and to deliver jolts of
electricity
that would potentially be fatal . if the device had been in a person. In
this
case, the researcher were hacking into a device in a laboratory. "

When I got my pacemaker I was working on some RF programming project.

My doctor told me to find another job, he could sense my curiosity.

Who could resist such fun?!

Randy