Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] [Dailydave] Linux's unofficial security-through-coverup policy

From: "Elazar Broad" <elazar () hushmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:35:21 -0400

I could understand why Linus is against classifying a commit
comment in his branch or in a any unstable branch for that
matter...then again, the repositories are open, and anyone with
half a brain might be able to discern what has security
ramifications or not. On the other hand classifying commit comments
in stable branch(es) is a must, and the lack of CVE identifiers is
very troublesome.

Well, if they aren't going to do it, its up to the community to
point it out, get the issues tracked in SecurityFocus and the like
so that people know that its out there and the distros along with
the general public don't have to rely on "HIGHLY SUGGESTED THAT YOU
UPGRADE" announcements from the kernel maintainers without knowing
why.

Elazar

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:57:57 -0400 Dave Aitel