Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Was secreview crap - now OpenVMS!!

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:13:48 -0500

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu said:

Bonus points for knowing that VMS was mostly written in Bliss/32 or some
such, and VM and MVS were a mixture of assembler and (later on) PL/S.
No C knowledge needed for those critters...

OpenVMS is less than 40% Blissful... though I'm not familiar with the original source (wasn't it written on stone
tablets?). About 50% is C, with a healthy mix of obsoletes making the difference. How something so elegant could be
spawned from such chaos is beyond me.

Mostly, the VMS basic OS utilities are Bliss-based (think: GNU).

I really wish HP would open OpenVMS before they kill it.

Security relevance: UNHACKABLE! <grin>

Randy