Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: clustering question

From: Bill Stout <billbrietstout () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:02:19 -0800 (PST)

This is security related?

Clustered firewall/vpn appliances have to be the same family as they replicate configuration (and sometimes state info)
to each other.  Usually the size of the appliance is related to user licenses and options like SSL accelleration, so
from the hardware perpsective they have to have the same components.

[Early '90s' answer]  If you're talking about a firewall configuration, as long as the services failover differently
sized systems will be fine.  The cluster can be full capacity when both are up, and operate in degraded capacity mode
with all services running on one server, or if a service fails over to a smaller system it will run in degraded mode.
I configured a Dec Seal1 gatekeeper cluster on Digital Ultrix for a west coast bank way back when, they had some
services (FTP, SSL) on one server and other services on a another (NTP, SMTP).  The clustering software handled service
(screend) and virtual IP failover and the configuration files on the shared RAIDset.  The systems were equally sized.
I haven't seen an application firewall cluster since then.

Bill Stout