Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Bruteforcing HTML and browser-sec to find BoF's

From: Malformed Guy <malformation () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:19:55 +1030

Hello, fellow F.D readers,

There have been a lot of recent IE exploits and talk of "browser-sec" floating around recently and I thought "Hey, what
if you made a script that actually bruteforced html?" For example a script that spews out possible combinations of
HTML/ASP/JAVASCRIPT/JAVA/SQL/PHP:

<h\ntml><ht\nml> might not neccessarily cause anything to happen, let alone are they valid tags, but by bruteforcing,
it could cause currently unknown vulnerabilities to appear to the security auditor. This could result in the browser to
run into buffer overflow or a similar crash. When a crash is found, the program edits the file and slowly takes note of
the current file, and proceeds to delete part of the file till there are no more crashes.  For example:

would now become
and subsequently

Idea was inspired by the Samy worm:
http://namb.la/popular/tech.html
"To get around this, some browsers will actually interpret "java\nscript" as "javascript" (that's
java<NEWLINE>script)."

Yours faithfully,
Malformation

P.S. Someone tell me this is an awesome idea, else I'll cry like a little girl.